Marc Laredo spoke for a Boston Bar Association CLE program entitled, “Small Businesses, Big Headaches: Ethical and Practical Challenges in Representing Closely-Held Businesses” in February 2018. The distinguished panel of litigators and transactional lawyers addressed the special ethical and practical challenges facing attorneys whose practices involve closely held businesses. Among the topics covered will be:
- Impact of recent case law, including the WilmerHale,Cesari McKenna and Abrano decisions;
- Identifying the clients and fiduciary duties owed to them;
- Engagement letters: forming and terminating the attorney-client relationship;
- Hot Potato withdrawals of representation;
- Navigating conflicts among principals, including litigation and alternative dispute resolution; and
- Representation of stakeholders in unrelated matters – potential future conflicts.