- United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- United States District Court for the District of Rhode Island
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- State of Rhode Island
Awards & Recognition
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers – Rising Star, awarded to no more than 2.5% of lawyers in the state, annually since 2011.
- Best Lawyers, Commercial Litigation, 2017-present.
- Boston College Law School, cum laude, J.D.
- Connecticut College, B.A.
Matthew A. Kane
Matthew Kane represents banks and other financial institutions, businesses and individuals in an array of business law matters and disputes concerning consumer finance, employment, construction, real estate and general litigation as part of the firm’s business litigation practice. Matthew has considerable experience in consumer financial services litigation, including mortgage and title litigation, civil check fraud, and fair debt collection matters. Matthew is selected by his peers for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America © for commercial litigation.
Matthew has successfully tried cases to verdict and argued before the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court and the Massachusetts Appeals Court, and appears regularly in every level of state and federal court across Massachusetts and Rhode Island. Prior to joining Laredo & Smith, Matthew was of counsel to a mid-sized regional firm, where he handled a broad range of financial services litigation, commercial real estate disputes, breach of contract, mechanic’s lien and other litigation matters.
Matthew is a graduate of Connecticut College and a cum laude graduate of Boston College Law School. He lives in Needham with his family.
- Argued and won issue of first impression at the Supreme Judicial Court concerning proof of proper foreclosure in post-foreclosure summary process case.
- Represent banks in virtually every level of state and federal court in Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
- Represent students accused of misconduct in connection with Title IX investigations.
- Represent owners of multi-level marketing company in complex commercial disputes with corporate wholesaler.
- Defend business owners against copyright infringement claims in federal court.
- Represent employers and employees in non-compete cases.
- Advise closely-held construction company in connection with its daily legal needs, including maintenance of corporate records, entity-related compliance, employment agreements and contracts.
- Represent construction companies and suppliers in contract disputes and mechanic’s lien cases.
- Advise closely held businesses on corporate and fiduciary matters.
- Represent businesses and their owners in a variety of commercial disputes.
- Zoom Litigation: What’s Working and What’s Not, Panelist, Boston Bar Association (September 2020)
- Taking and Defending Depositions 202, Panelist, Boston Bar Association (November 2017)
- Getting Started: Drafting and Filing a Complaint in Massachusetts Courts or Administrative Agencies, Panelist, Boston Bar Association, (September 2016)
- Modification, Loss Mitigation and Other Means to Prevent Foreclosure, Panelist, Boston Bar Association (April 2013)
News & Articles
- Laredo & Smith Attorneys Named to Annual Super Lawyers Listing in Massachusetts (2021)
- Laredo & Smith Lawyers Named to 2022 Edition Best Lawyers In America
- Civil Law: SJC Contextualizes Anti-Raiding Provisions Automile Holdings LLC v. McGovern, 483 Mass. 797 (2020), Massachusetts Law Review, author (April 2021)
- Attorney Matt Kane Recognized by 2020 Best Lawyers (2020)
- Matt Kane Named to Best Lawyers Again in 2019
- The Diminished Utility of Anti-SLAPP Motions, MassBar eJournal, co-author (December 2018)
- Massachusetts Appeals Court Declines To Extend Prohibition Against Contingent Fee Agreements with Expert Witnesses, MassBar eJournal, co-author (September 2018)
- Matt Kane Selected to Best Lawyers (2018)
- “Uber and Lyft Get a Set of Rules to Call Their Own,” Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly (2016)
- Laredo & Smith Attorneys Named to Super Lawyers for 2016 (2016)
- Laredo & Smith Attorneys Named Super Lawyers (2015)
Community and Professional Involvement
- Board of Bar Overseers, Hearing Officer
- Boston Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Massachusetts Real Estate Bar Association
- Board of Governors, Needham Golf Club, Needman, MA