Payal Salsburg presents on a Boston Bar Association program on May 4, 2018 entitled, “Nuts and Bolts of Litigation Involving Closely-Held Corporations.” During this ‘Friday Fundamentals’ educational series event, the speakers will discuss typical issues that arise in shareholder disputes in closely-held corporations, including pursuing claims of breach of fiduciary duties, defending such claims, and measuring and mitigating damages given the realities of the small business model.
Jessica Conklin moderated a panel for the Boston Bar Association on April 18, 2018 entitled, “Drafting and Negotiating Contracts.” In this program, the esteemed panelists spoke on the “must-haves” in every contract, best practices in negotiations, key issues for drafting and the typical pitfalls and traps. The panel also covered some of the softer skills that go into skillfully negotiating a contract for a client, including managing different personality types and deescalating intense negotiations. The program was sponsored by the Senior Associate Forum and the Business Transactions Section.
Marc Laredo presents as a panelist on the Boston Bar Association’s CLE program entitled, “Small Businesses, Big Headaches: Ethical and Practical Challenges in Representing Closely-Held Businesses.” Marc joins fellow distinguished litigators and transactional lawyers to address the special ethical and practical challenges facing attorneys who practices involve closely-held businesses. Topics include:
- Impact of recent case law, including the WilmerHale, Cesari McKenna and Abrano decisions;
- Identifying the clients and fiduciary duties owed to them;
- Engagement letters: forming and terminating the attorney-client relationship;
- Hot Potato withdrawals of representation;
- Navigating conflicts among principals, including litigation and alternative dispute resolution; and
- Representation of stakeholders in unrelated matters – potential future conflicts.
Laredo & Smith lawyers Jessica Conklin and Payal Salsburg continue to be active in the Boston Bar Association’s educational programming. They most recently presented as panelists for the BBA’s program entitled, “Practicing with Professionalism,” which took place on February 9th. Jessica & Payal discussed important attributes of reputable attorneys and also covered how to handle the pressures of practice that challenge even the most reputable attorneys. This program also offered super networking for new admittees, with the chance to meet established members of the bar. This program took place at the BBA’s offices located at 16 Beacon Street in Boston.
Payal Salsburg presents as a panelist on the Boston Bar Association‘s “Speed Networking with Labor & Employment Attorneys.” This panel, which takes place on February 1, 2018 from 530-730pm will discuss the career paths and legal opportunities in Boston’s Labor & Employment landscape.
The firm is pleased to announce that Payal Salsburg, who joined the firm in May 2016, is now Senior Counsel to the firm. Payal continues to handle business litigation matters, e-discovery, corporate advice and counsel as well as ethics investigations. She works with corporations, small businesses, and individuals in connection with a wide array of matters including contract and other business disputes, False Claims Act litigation, government and internal investigations, ethics inquiries, and intellectual property litigation. Payal also advises and counsels closely-held businesses on corporate and employment matters.
Laredo & Smith is pleased to announce that five of the firm’s attorneys were named Super Lawyers in 2017! Marc Laredo, Mark Smith, Matt Kane, Eric Sigman and Payal Salsburg have all been named to the 2017 Super Lawyers list. They were named in the following categories:
- Marc Laredo is recognized for Business Litigation
- Mark Smith is recognized for Criminal Defense: White Collar Crime
- Matt Kane is a Rising Star in Banking
- Eric Sigman is a Rising Star in Franchise/Dealership
- Payal Salsburg is a Rising Star in Business Litigation
Super Lawyers is a rating service for lawyers from more than 70 practice areas. To be included in the list, attorneys must attain a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. The selection process includes independent research, peer nominations and peer evaluations. Rising Stars are selected using the same criteria as Super Lawyers, but each attorney must be either 40 years old or younger, or in practice for 10 years or less. This recognition is awarded to no more than 5% of lawyers in the state.
Jessica Conklin and Payal Salsburg presented as panelists for a recent Boston Bar Association program entitled, “Practicing with Professionalism”. They discussed important attributes of reputable attorneys as well as how to respond to the pressures of practice that challenge even the most reputable attorneys. This program took place at the BBA’s offices located at 16 Beacon Street in Boston.
Laredo & Smith attorneys, Matthew Kane and Jessica Conklin, present as panelists for the upcoming Boston Bar Association program entitled, “Taking and Defending Depositions 202.” The event takes place on November 8, 2017 from 12:30-1:30pm at 16 Beacon Street in Boston.
The panel will discuss practical skills for attorneys. The panel will cover the following topics for taking depositions:
- Purpose driven depositions
- Using exhibits: when, why, and how
- Critical listening
- Staying on track with your strategy
- Suspending v closing a deposition
- Effective use of court reporter
The panel will also discuss defending depositions, covering the following topics:
- Properly using objections/ raising privilege issues
- Controlling the deponent
- Use of caucus/ breaks
- Handling difficult opposition counsel
We are pleased to see our colleague Mark Smith named President of the Boston Bar Association. What is also incredible, is that his college friend is simultaneously being named Chairman of the Massachusetts Board of Bar Overseers. The Boston Globe covered this great story on September 12, 2017. Read the great story: Boston Globe Article: Mark Smith Named BBA President
Laredo & Smith offers clients big-firm expertise with the client-centered, cost-effective strategy that only a small firm can offer.
- Protecting Your Business’ Reputation on the InternetOctober 13, 2020 - 11:46 am
- Understanding the New Regulations Governing Title IX for Colleges and UniversitiesJune 22, 2020 - 2:20 pm
- Supreme Judicial Court Prohibits Extension Of Non-Solicit Period In Lieu of Awarding DamagesFebruary 10, 2020 - 5:00 pm
- Employers Must Be Cautious When Taking Action Against Employees Who Vacation While on Medical LeaveOctober 11, 2019 - 12:27 pm
Laredo & Smith, LLP
101 Federal Street
Boston, MA 02110